Tips for First-Time Attendees
The best thing about the PIUG Annual Conference is its comfortable size. We can all fit in a single ballroom. There are no concurrent sessions. Everyone is very friendly.
Download the conference App. Available for Apple, Android, Blackberry and Windows devices.
- Consider attending at least one workshop. All of them are free, but the Patent Forum requests pre-registration.
- Review the list of sponsors and exhibitors and start to plan how you will spend your time in the exhibition hall.
- Look at the conference program schedule and decide which programs look most interesting. There are no concurrent sessions to choose between, but the days are fully scheduled.
- Packing: Plan to dress in layers, as the weather and the conference room temperatures can vary. Wear comfortable shoes during the day.
Download the conference App if you haven’t already.
- Settle in to your room and unpack.
- Wander around the hotel and familiarize yourself with the layout of the conference area.
- Get a good night's sleep.
- If you haven't already done so, please register for the Conference and review the activities planned for the week using the app..
- Attend the PIUG Business Meeting (Tuesday, May 10th at 11:00am) to hear about what the organization is doing. It is open to all conference attendees as well as all PIUG members who are not able to attend the conference. There are many opportunities to become more involved with PIUG.
- For those attending in person, the Welcome Reception (Sunday, May 1st at 5:30pm) is held in the Exhibit Hall. There will be food and drink and lots of socializing with fellow attendees and exhibitors.
- Also for the in-person attendees, on Monday and Tuesday nights, May2nd and 3rd, there are Social Receptions starting at 5:30pm in the exhibit hall. There will again be food and drink and lots of socializing with fellow attendees
- Be ready with questions at the end of each session. The discussions at the end of each talk are usually very informative.
- Do not miss the exhibit area. It is small enough that you can stop at every table and talk to the vendors about their products. You will learn a lot!
- Meet your new PIUG colleagues at the in-person Social Receptions on Monday and Tuesday evenings at 5:30pm in the exhibit area.
- Join a PIUG committee to learn from and work with other PIUG members.
- Check with the PIUG reception desk or refer to the meeting app for any changes, messages or questions.
- Consider attending any workshops taking place after the plenary sessions are completed.
- Fill out the conference evaluation form; your input will make the next conference even better.
- Look through the business cards you have collected or browse the connections made with the app; do some follow up networking.
- Contact vendors and ask questions about their products.
- Plan to attend next year's PIUG Biotechnology or Annual Conferences.
- Consider submitting a talk, inviting others to join you at a future PIUG event, or posting what you think of the meeting on a blog or discussion list.