Patent Information Users Group, Inc.
The International Society for Patent Information Professionals
Advanced Patent Search Strategies
What to Use When All Else Fails
Two-Part Webinar Series originally offered Live on March 23 and April 6, 2022
Learn advanced search strategies to try when you’ve used the typical search methods and you want to make sure you did not miss something important. These strategies are also useful to help determine when a search is as near complete as possible, indicating that the searching may soon end. While the typical search methods including keywords, classification codes, citations and advanced systems will be briefly reviewed, the main focus will cover what to do after using these initial strategies.
The course has been recorded in its entirety for access as an on-demand offering.
Ron Kaminecki, the course instructor, provides a video overview of the course below:
This two-part series presented by Ron Kaminecki covers multiple techniques including:
• The Building Block Approach: Categorizing concepts to modify a strategy
• Successive Fractions: Paring a search down by concepts
• Recombination of Elements: Narrowing piecemeal results to avoid duplicates
• Terms of Art: Identifying the most important terminology
• Linking: Extending the search to other database sources
• Pearl Growing: Expanding results starting with only a single result
• Cherry Picking: Using a few documents to locate more information
• Analogous Arts: Using alternative sources to locate the information
Pricing for the entire course is $159 for PIUG Members and $199 for Non-members.
Register for the course HERE
© 2022 The Patent Information Users Group, Inc.
Mailing Address: 40 E. Main St., #1438
Newark, DE 19711
Phone: +1 (302) 660-3275 Fax: +1 (302) 660-3276
Notice on use of PIUG name and logo:
No one may use the PIUG name or logo for any promotional or commercial purpose or any other purpose without the prior written consent of the PIUG Board of Directors.