Monday, February 24, through Wednesday, February 26, 2014
500 Kendall Street
Cambridge, MA 02142
+1 (617) 252-7500
Networks of people develop with time and energy, involving face-to-face interaction and qualitative, shared experience in-the-field and in-the-moment. These professional relationships go well beyond incidental acquaintanceship or e-chat rooms and can result in life-long professional friendships and opportunity.
Every February, we proudly participate in the PIUG Biotechnology Meeting, which brings together a tightly focused group of highly competent information professionals.
Since 2007, the Boston Biotech “locals” have periodically met at one among an ever increasing list of popular dinner venues to discuss during the evening various professional interests and culinary delights. These events provide a valuable yet relaxed forum for discussion of issues of immediate impact to our community of practice. Beliefs, learnings, and assumptions are vetted among enthusiastic industry colleagues, and truly the best among so many great Boston restaurants are sampled. Our intent is to develop exemplary networking opportunities consistent with the highest goals of PIUG. Whenever you plan to travel in eastern Massachusetts, know that you have an extended professional network at whose table you are always welcome.
10 Bosworth Street
Boston, MA 02108-4182
We welcome our PIUG colleagues who are visiting Boston for the conference and, perhaps for the first time. Local members should feel free to "adopt a visitor", so that all feel welcome in Boston. Located just off the Freedom Trail, Marliave is centrally located among and within walking distance of the Massachusetts state capitol, Boston Common and Gardens, the popular Downtown Crossing district, and Faneuil Hall.
R.S.V.P. as soon as possible but not later than by 4:30pm. Friday, February 21, 2014, due to our short time line for securing reservations. Contact Rick Williams and modify the subject line with the number of attendees in your party if more than one.
Please assemble in the downstairs (entrance level) restaurant bar any time prior to the dinner seating upstairs.
Hint: the raw bar features fresh oysters for $1ea from 4 to 6pm daily.
|Dinner||Upstairs. Please mention the Boston Biotechnology Meeting to be seated with our group.|
|Return to the hotel, or stroll around town.|
- MBTA (The "T"): Catch the Red Line at Kendall/MIT Station inbound to Park Street Station (Red & Green Lines). Walk 2 blocks up the hill on Tremont Street past the Orpheum Theater and Suffolk U. to Bosworth and turn right. Walk 1.5 blocks to Marliave (on right).
- By car: Hillstone (a Boston insider's tip) offers 3 hours free parking at the 60 State Street parking garage. Stop there for one drink, get your pass validated, then proceed to Marliave walking down Tremont to Bosworth from the other direction.
- By cab: quickest, but probably $10-15, depending on traffic (and, of course, snow).
The networking dinner is "Dutch treat", and most restaurants and Boston taxicabs accept major credit cards. Verify that your cab secured in Cambridge accepts your credit card, if important.
- Transportation options in Boston include walking, taxicab, and mass transit, or some combination of these.
- We make every attempt to secure reservations only at venues that are willing either (1) to issue individual meal checks or (2) receive individual cash or business charge cards for payment (and issue duplicate receipts); however, based on venue availability and in view of the size of our event, we cannot guarantee separate checks.
If you plan to attend the conference and also will remain in Boston throughout Tuesday evening, please consider attending the dinner. Forward your intent or any question (addressing any relevant data mentioned above) as soon as possible to Rick Williams (email@example.com). Although we will accept dinner additions up to the lunch break of the conference (Tuesday, 12:00pm ET), we appreciate your RSVP as quickly as possible, so that we can secure a venue appropriate to our needs.
In addition to this formal networking event, additional evenings may offer similar opportunities of a less formal nature. If you are unfamiliar with Boston but wish to arrange your own networking events Monday or Wednesday evening, please feel free to contact us. We are happy to assist in suggesting or arranging an appropriate venue.