PIUG 2019 Annual Conference
An International Conference for Patent Information Professionals
Preparing for the Future and the Unknown:
New Technologies and Skills for the Patent Searcher
Saturday, May 4 - Thursday, May 9, 2019
400 Courthouse Square
Alexandria, VA 22314
Tips for First-Time Attendees
The best thing about the PIUG Annual Conference is its comfortable size. We can all fit in a single ballroom. There are no concurrent sessions. Everyone is very friendly.
Download the conference App. Available for Apple, Android, Blackberry and Windows devices.
- Consider attending at least one workshop. Many of them are free, but all require pre-registration.
- Review the list of sponsors and exhibitors and start to plan how you will spend your time in the exhibition hall.
- Look at the conference program schedule and decide which programs look most interesting. There are no concurrent sessions to choose between, but the days are fully scheduled.
- Packing: Plan to dress in layers, as the weather and the conference room temperatures can vary. Wear comfortable shoes during the day. Many people dress up for the Awards Dinner on Monday night, but others wear business casual to this event.
Download the conference App if you haven’t already.
- Settle in to your room and unpack.
- Wander around the hotel and familiarize yourself with the layout of the meeting rooms.
- Get a good night's sleep.
- Register for the Conference and sign up for a networking or Committee dinner on Tuesday and Wednesday evenings.
- Review the Conference booklet, particularly the schedule on the inside front cover that will get you oriented to the event schedule. This expands on the Conference Schedule at a Glance table on the Conference Overview page.
- Come to the PIUG Business Meeting (Sunday, 4:00pm) to hear about what the organization is doing. It is open to all. There are many opportunities to become more involved with PIUG.
- Don't miss the First Time Attendee Welcome & Orientation Reception (Sunday, 6:30pm) that was designed especially for you.
- Stay for the Opening Reception (Sunday, 7:30pm), which follows immediately after the First-timer Reception and is held in the Exhibit Hall. There will be food and drink and lots of socializing with fellow attendees and exhibitors.
- On Monday night, there is a Awards Dinner; most people dress a bit more formally for this event.
- Be ready with questions at the end of each session. The discussions at the end of each talk are usually very informative.
- Do not miss the exhibit area. It is small enough that you can stop at every table and talk to the vendors about their products. You will learn a lot!
- Meet your new PIUG colleagues at the networking and Committee dinners.
- Join a PIUG committee to learn from and work with other PIUG members.
- Check with the PIUG reception desk for any changes, messages or questions.
- Consider attending the after-conference workshops.
- Fill out the conference evaluation form; your input will make the next conference even better.
- Look through the business cards you have collected; do some follow up networking.
- Contact vendors and ask questions about their products.
- Plan to attend the PIUG 2019 Northeast Conference in New Jersey in the Fall, or next year's PIUG Biotechnology or Annual Conferences.
- Consider submitting a talk, inviting others to join you at a future PIUG event, or posting what you think of the meeting on a blog or discussion list.